.

.

Monday, October 21, 2013

Plaids, Stripes & Solids

I love my husband VERY MUCH!  I mean, hey, any guy that will go into a fabric store voluntarily  is definitely a keeper!  But I tease him about being the "Civil War Reproduction Fabric Man."  If there is a line of fabric containing a few grayed out greens, a dark-DARK navy, and a couple cheddar oranges somewhere in the store he's entered voluntarily, my honey will find it and want to buy it ALL.  For example, for our first anniversary (you know, the Cotton anniversary), he bought me several yards of the stuff, which, I'm not gonna lie, confounded poor, jewel-tone-lovin', modern-quiltin' me.  But I made a cool wall-hanging with it, complete with appliqued leaves, and he was so happy.  It's in our living room.  And as much as I don't want to admit it, it looks GREAT with our couch and table...

Anyway, at another fabric store, he pointed out this quilt made of a bunch of homespun plaids and stripes, with a few coordinating solids.  "There's a kit available," the Quilt Shop Owner says.  So, I ended up with this batch of stuff that I wasn't real sure about.  But last week, I started sewing it up, and I have to admit, even though there's not a white or gray solid in sight, it's growing on me...Here's the progress so far:


I was a stinker, and totally didn't follow the directions.  I greatly dislike cutting out individual squares, and so instead I sewed up small strata, and then cross-cut them into squares.  In the original, all the stripes, for example, were going different directions, and I'll lose that, but that's ok with me.

Solids with solids, plaids with plaids, stripes with stripes. And LOOK!!  There's a REALLY good turquoise in there, as well as a yummy plummy purple solid, so HOORAY!  Jewel-tones in among the grayed out colors! :)

I think this is pretty close to a Modern Quilt.  It's definitely a simple pattern.  Maybe, if I like it enough, I'll remake it in more modern colors...


After I get the four-patches sewn together, there's a 1 1/2" border that goes around each block, so I'm back to cutting and sewing!  I have a feeling this is going to be another project that looks amazing in my living room.  Sigh...I'll have to tell my husband that he was right! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment