.

.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Another entry!

Before Christmas, I found this great book called "Modern Bee:  13 Quilts to Make With Friends" and I promptly bought three copies -- one for me, and one for each of my two quilting friends.  Because, how perfect is that?!?  THEN I found that the first project in the book, the Mosaic Tiles Quilt, had a Quilt Along going on!  I hope I've figured out how to enter the Quilt Along, but I have no idea...these contest things aren't very clear, I've found...

OK, so my husband just got a great new job that will involve us traveling more and flying stand-by.  This is so great and we feel so blessed, but at the same time, not checking our luggage is creating some stress for me -- how big can those bottles be?  and a quart-sized bag?  TSA's website has become my new friend because I like to make sure I'm following the rules.  But what if I follow the rules and my bag still gets searched?  Here was my first thought: I don't want anyone to see my undies or have them fall out of my bag!  My husband said that he felt I might be the only person who is worried about this, but I'm ignoring him :) and I used the Mosaic Tiles Quilt Block to make myself a bag to put INSIDE my suitcase that will house my unmentionables in a pretty fashion!

I used the bag pattern from the Winter 2014 issue of Modern Patchwork magazine.  I liked the bag, but not the block they used, so it was perfect.  First I made enough Mosaic blocks to make the size I'd need for the bag.
My favorite color is purple, and I had some great turquoise and purple fabrics to go with the purples.  I also got a chance to use my favorite gray polka dot, and a small piece of antique kimono silk that I'd collected somewhere along the way.  The back of the piece I quilted is a gorgeous piece of cotton lawn that is left over from a dress I made in high school.  It's so soft and luxurious, so it was the perfect bag-insides for a skivvies-carrier...I quilted some waves, and then I quilted some straight lines.  I didn't do much quilting because I used so many favorite fabrics -- I wanted the fabrics to be the focal point, not the quilting...

Then I made the bag, and I'm very pleased with it!





 It's much bigger than I expected, which means if my husband is nice, I might put his underwear in my bag to hide them, too...but only if he's good. ;)

Mosaic Tiles Quilt Along

No comments:

Post a Comment