.

.

Monday, November 29, 2010

Paper + Fabric = ART!




This weekend, I went to The Scrappy Stamper in Centralia, WA to a scrapbooking crop, and I got so inspired by the awesome store, and the wonderful ladies around me!! I totally worked through a block I was having and made these two samples for a class I’ll be teaching at Ruby Street Quiltworks called Paper + Fabric = Art.

I got the idea to use fabric and paper together a while ago, and it all started with that Boo wallhanging I made for Halloween, using the Alexander Henry Haunted House and Ghastlies collections. (Well, truthfully, I got so excited, I made three!!)


But then, I got stuck, and I wasn’t sure where to go with the idea next. Until this weekend, when I got two ideas actually executed, and two or three other ideas dreamed up…take a look!


This one is of a bathing beauty. To start, I stamped the background paper with a little iridescent ink, then attached the paper to a 5”x7” canvas. The beauty (well, her head and shoulders and legs) are made of paper, and the bathtub is quilted from a design by Jennifer Garant’s fabrics for Timeless Treasures I am so happy with how it is going so far! I think this one needs a frame… Now I just need to find the perfect one!





This one turned out really well, too, I think. I quilted the
Martini Glass, which is also from Timeless Treasures

, and touched it up with some Stickles Glitter. Then, I painted a 5”x7” canvas, and muddied up the edges. I also found this great woven ribbon in red that gives some great texture. I added the words with Staz-on Ink, and my Dymo old-school label-maker.


Sigh! It was a great weekend! Thanks, Cheri Piles , for putting the crop together! Totally what I needed!

AND, I have classes scheduled at Ruby Street Quiltworks!! Last post, I was talking about my ULTIMATE Scrap Quilt, and this class will be on Thursday, January 6th. Start the new year off right by cleaning out some of your previous fabric purchases (and make room for new fabric!! J ) Then, Paper + Fabric = Art! will be on Tuesday, March 29th. (I know that March sounds like a long time away, but it will be here before we know it, I’m sure!)

I’m also working on a great sample which will become a Modern Quilting class, too!! That will be held on Thursday, April 7th, and stay tuned for pictures! I’m quite pleased with how it’s coming along!

(PS -- I figured out how to do hyper-links within a post! Click on some, and tell me how they work!! Pretty soon I'll have this blogger thing figured out, and then I'll REALLY be dangerous!! J)

No comments:

Post a Comment